How do you increase tourism business in a recession when people are hesitant to spend money and businesses are cutting back on their marketing budgets? Here are a few basic tips for CVB’s looking for the best online opportunities to increase revenue in 2009:
- Get locals more involved! Target people in your own city by offering more interesting and comprehensive event listings and local opportunity updates to increase the usability of your CVB website.
- Optimize your website for search. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most cost-effective ways to drive numerous searching tourists, meeting planners and local businesses to your website. SEO will help CVBs maximize their website potential online.
- Reevaluate your website content. Why spend your marketing dollars on paid advertising if people cannot easily navigate and access information on your website? Go back to the basics and reevaluate if the content on your site is useful and informative for your target audience. Is your site easy to navigate? Do you have interesting content that will market your destination online?
- Interact both online and offline. Find ways, like twitter, facebook or a blog to interact with your customers online. Give your CVB personality and let people get to know your staff online and offline. CoTweet, a service where you can have several people tweeting on the same account, may be a way to minimize the time spend on twitter, but maximize customer interaction with your CVB. A great feature of CoTweet is that it is an organized system where you can assign the members of your team certain people to follow up with on twitter.
- Analyze and measure the success of your online CVB initiatives. In the recession, it is especially important to prove your worth. It is important to show that the online initiatives that your CVB takes part in are in some shape or form driving revenue. Find a company who will offer performance metrics to your site, track your influence on social media, and give you statistics to prove that your initiatives are bringing ROI to the business.
I would love to hear more ideas and stories on how you have effectively marketed your CVB online in the recession.